SW10: Summer of Discontent #2: The Plan

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 05:04:08 PDT 2011

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:52:05 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> The Summer of Discontent
> Part 1:  The Plan

But it says up there this is #2!

> "Mosquitoes...  What have I read about mosquitoes?"
>
> "Mosquitoes were bio-engineered to make the very first strike against
> The Trillions in Russia almost two years ago.
> (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/trillions.htm#trillions )
> Coincidentally, the plague started in Eurasia after the aliens landed.
> To speak more of aliens...

Yes.  This is totally coincidental and not at all something we need to
establish so we can tie them together.

> "You may recall, last summer an alien penetrated blockade around the
> Earth.  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/deathtrap.htm )  He was
> of course the Alien Beast, member of our Combine.  I am pleased to
> report he has delivered two children."

Wait, wait - that's who Alien Beast is?  Did I miss the story where
anything other than him arriving was established?

> "Uh, what you mean *delivered*?"
>
> "He was pregnant.  He was bio-engineered to be a hermaphrodite.  Male
> and female together, that is."

Huh, neat.

> Karla continued...  "Since then, the Beast has returned to the hunt.  In
> Alexandria, Egypt, he has found a plot by the guardian class of The
> Trillions to support the Red China government in a crackdown against the
> South China rebellion."

You'd think the Trillions would be against that government due to their
limits on reproduction.

> Dr. Ingrid Bodil said, "I will address that.  We have a report from the
> Australian ambassador.  Ellipsis has been conducting research there,
> along with the Bride of the Ultimate Darkness.  In theory, the Bride can
> *teleport* the Earth into Darkness, and have it emerge in another
> direction.  Into a new orbit."

...teleporting the planet into Ultimate Darkness seems like a bad thing.

> Another woman spoke.  "She sent me.  You can call me Wenchy the Witch."

Heeheehee

> "Aw, *dammit*.  The *other* Wyatt.  Why is it always Wyatt?"
>
> Wenchy the Witch said, "If you'd care to know..."
>
> "No!  I *don't* care!  What do we *do* about it?"

Aw.  I wanted the in-universe explanation. ``

> I've been considering the Earth's new orbit to be a done deal, because
> it leads to my predeclared apocalypse world of Earth 2022.
> (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/beyond.htm )  But of course my
> characters would consider other options.  And my characters *often*
> drive my story.  Might they get what they want?  Would it be good
> enough?  I guess we'll find out together.

Yaaaaaaaay!  Frankly, the narrative tendency for your characters to find
solutions will chip away at any prophesized apocalypse.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, all caught up.