SW10: Summer of Discontent #1: 2014

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 00:32:38 PDT 2011

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:13:59 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> Then someone up on the nearest balcony said, "The crackdown is here!"
> It was Charlie Sheen - in a tunic!  Gunmen in helmets and vests were all
> around him.

What

> Charlie Sheen answered.  "We're smashing the last bits of the rebellion.
>   *That's* what's going on."
>
> "Whaat?  Oh, and nice tunic, Mr. Sheen."
>
> "Thanks.  No one ever thinks to compliment me on that.  But it's
> *Vice-President* Sheen to you."

...what

> Joel shoved a piece of paper at me and said, "Wyatt!  It's up to you to
> save 2014!  Send our message to the past!"
>
> "2014!?  *What* message?"

I see. O.o

> Obviously I'd left my world.  It looked like I'd merged with another
> body of mine, via something like Hyper-Body Hyper-Transfer Protocol.  My
> body looked older.  So I guess it really was 2014.

Hmmmmm, yes, obviously... a bit *too* obviously.

> Now, who would send me here?  Probably Satanists.  They'd been awfully
> mad at me, just one day before at Britannia Beach.  And I'd *thrown
> away* all the power I could have used to defend myself from them.   The
> things I do just to be moral...

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

> But I knew that demon.  He had rules about entering or exiting
> structures.  He'd been devious toward me *many* times, but he'd never
> done me wrong.  So I said, "Vesper.  I will admit you if you promise to
> tell me what the hell is going on."
>
> He said, "Wyatt.  I understand your oath.  I promise by Hell to tell you
> truth."

Very good.  Trust your own judgment.

> "Black Mages.  Because you captured ultimate power in 2011 - and then
> you *sacrificed* it.  You have now done the most powerful sacrifice in
> over a millennium.  That is why I grant you the judgment power over this
> Earth."

Oooooooooh.

> I *have* acted in judgment upon Earths.  As recently as two days ago.
> At Britannia Beach.  There was I taught a lesson in judgment.  So I
> said, "No!  I do *not* grant permission to remove Earths!  Not even if
> Charlie Sheen is Vice-President!"

The litimus test for anyone, I must say.

> Oh, shit.  I'd returned to the past.  It was even *my* past.  But it
> wasn't 2011.  It was 1971.  The part of the past that just sucked.
>
> Oh, Vesper, you shit.

D'oh!

> Boy, it's a good thing I wrote Britannia Beach as a moral story.
> Otherwise I *would* have wiped Vice-President Sheen out.  Now we'll just
> have to live with the possibility of a Trump-Sheen ticket as it arises.

I dunno, three years seems incredibly short for them to be elected, a
rebellion to arise, and for it to be nearly wiped out.  I figured the whole
world was going to be some sort of illusion.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, personally, I wouldn't mind visiting
the '70s.