SW10/HCC: Time of the Crossovers #1: The Coming of the Super-Mage

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 19:06:09 PDT 2011

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 03:49:54 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> Ellipsis hates government and all forms of servitude to others.  Now he
> serves The Combine which is increasingly hard to distinguish from U.S.
> Government.  Increasingly he is in bondage.  Even from West Australia
> he's been called back, because there is *still* none like him on Earth.
>   But he's accustomed to that.

Ellipsis is an interesting weirdo, in a way I suspect you didn't intend
when you first created him.  He seems sort of like someone with
supervillain-ish extremist motives who happens to fall into a hero slot
more out of circumstance than anything.

...and hey, look who he's being paired up with...

> Bride of Darkness
> and her Best Man, channelers of Ultimate Darkness.

Oho.  Haven't heard of the latter guy.  Is he the same one from "A Date
With The Darkness"?

> The Darkness dissolves.  The shield and the mage are gone, swallowed by
> Darkness.

Oooooh.  Very good, and makes this matter, because...

> The evil mages of Earth notice new magic power in their sky and on their
> planet.  The source has disappeared, but the residual power remains.
> They start to gather it.

There's always a cost.  Awesome.

> After 1990, Wyatt Ferguson started taking over the stories.  That is to
> say, I went from power drama to silliness.  But in my world(s), no
> concept goes to waste.  Ellipsis therefore showed up as a supporting
> character.

Oh yes.  Characters meant for power drama are prime targets for silliness.

> For this adventure I am preserving my original writing style.  It's
> easy, it's nostalgic, and it fits Ellipsis.

I noticed that.  Surely works!

> In the flush of his youth, Ellipsis would have grimly escalated to
> overwhelm any opponent in a power duel.  But this is twenty years on.
> He's older, sadder, and a bit wiser.  He's settled down to science and
> power politics, as have most of the heroes he works with.  But it's good
> to remember, there are things worth fighting for.

I'm wondering if these are things the Super Wizard has yet to learn, or if
he even could...

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, work is kicking me in the face.