SW10/HCC: Time of the Crossovers #1: The Coming of the Super-Mage

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Aug 6 20:49:54 PDT 2011

On 5 August 2011, the instruments of The Combine detect a reality shift
out by the glowing orb of Jupiter.  Waves from there are pushing its
moons out of their new orbits.  There's some kind of power object out
there.  After it moves the moons, it heads toward Earth.  This gets the
attention of the U.S. Government.

Naturally, they suspect the return of the Infrared Sunbreaker Choir,
which is what ignited Jupiter and changed the Earth's orbit almost two
years ago.  They've been meaning to prepare a military option in case
the Sunbreakers come back.  But for now, all they have is one
spacefaring superhuman:  Stephen Wolcott, Ellipsis.

Ellipsis hates government and all forms of servitude to others.  Now he
serves The Combine which is increasingly hard to distinguish from U.S.
Government.  Increasingly he is in bondage.  Even from West Australia
he's been called back, because there is *still* none like him on Earth.
  But he's accustomed to that.

Ellipsis flies into space, then teleports.  He comes upon the intruder
in the asteroid belt, approaching the Earth.  The intruder is in male
human form, moving under its own power, and towing a giant circular
metal shield, the size of a mountain.  The shield and the intruder both
emanate power.  The shield has enough power to have moved Jupiter's
moons.  And the intruder's thoughts are unshielded but completely alien,
even to Ellipsis who knows the six major alien species of the Galaxy.
But Ellipsis is a supergenius and learns very quickly.

Ellipsis sends the thought, Stop.  The intruder stops, and looks around
curiously.  But then it resumes.

Ellipsis sends the feeling, Sleep.  The intruder stops again.  Ellipsis
can feel it wants sleep.  But it has other obligations.  It resumes.

So Ellipsis sends the command:  Shutdown.  The intruder stops again.
Its brain shuts down.  But it has crown-shaped headgear that shocks it
awake!

Curse me for a fool, Ellipsis thinks.  He tries to shut down the
headgear.  But it's not electronic!  Some kind of magic.  Ellipsis
usually shuns magic because it follows chaotic principles his logical
mind avoids.  He *could* probably master this gear, but this is not the
time.

The mage (for so he must be) awakens.  He speaks (even in space) and he
thinks:  You Dare!?

Ellipsis responds by thought:  I Dare.  I Defend.  You Halt.

You Do Not Command Me!  The mage glows with power, and whips a spike of
the power at Ellipsis.

Ellipsis notices, the power comes from suns.  He absorbs it, and
converts it into a cloud of water.

He thinks to himself, Presumably the intruder can withstand such power
as he emits.   My matter transmutation powers cannot exceed that, here
beyond atmosphere.  So I shall avoid escalation... this time.  Instead
he thinks out loud:  You shall not move me from your way.

The mage says, I can not turn back.  They lock gazes.  Then he summons a
fireball, one thousand miles wide!

Over the many years Ellipsis has learned teleportation.  He slips out
from within the mini-sun.  But the mage has departed too!  Ellipsis can
see his energy trail, like a gash through space - toward the Earth!

Ellipsis casts his thoughts back to the Earth, to his wife Morningstar
Julie via telepathic link.  "Failure.  Incoming."

---

Ellipsis cracks the sky over Tibet.  The super-mage has brought his
giant shield down to the Earth.  It now hangs edge down over the Mekong
river valley, between two mountains.  The mage hovers near its center.

But the allies of Ellipsis have arrived!  The Combine has sent out its
strongest battle squad:  Morningstar Julie, telekinetic.  Mighty Tim,
flame-spouting teleporter.  Senhora Valkyrie, giant-woman with the
Thunder Chain of environmental control.  Alien Beast, undeterrable
hunter - and his two children, mighty powerhouses.  Bride of Darkness
and her Best Man, channelers of Ultimate Darkness.  And leading them,
the hulking Vice-President Crusher Joe Corrigan himself.  But with all
their power they are barely distracting the mage from activating his
shield-shaped engine.

More power...  Ellipsis is back in atmosphere, with a near-unlimited
supply of matter to turn into energy.  But the most readily-available
matter is air.  Tibet needs its air more than Ellipsis does.  But
there's another source of matter:  the giant floating shield-engine.

Ellipsis comes down crackling with energy, to the other side of the
shield from the mage.  Then he sticks his hands through the center of
the shield...  No, he doesn't!  This shield is unearthly matter, and
resists his touch!  But he *shall* master it...

The intruder says, NO!  He puts his own hands upon the shield.  His will
against Ellipsis.  And even as Ellipsis increases his will power, it
only matches the mage's.

Then Morningstar Julie says mentally, "Stephen!  Let go!"  Ellipsis
trusts his wife.  As he shoots away from the shield, a finger of
Ultimate Darkness as wide as the Mekong Valley smashes down on it!

The Darkness dissolves.  The shield and the mage are gone, swallowed by
Darkness.

Stephen hears Crusher Joe think, Good Enough.

---

The evil mages of Earth notice new magic power in their sky and on their
planet.  The source has disappeared, but the residual power remains.
They start to gather it.

---

Author's Notes:

Oh, my.  This is like Superhuman World 1991 all over again.  The
original adventures of Ellipsis, that is.  I wrote his adventures from
1983 to about 1990.  I eventually declared all those adventures to start
in 1990 as the basis of a superhero role-playing campaign.

After 1990, Wyatt Ferguson started taking over the stories.  That is to
say, I went from power drama to silliness.  But in my world(s), no
concept goes to waste.  Ellipsis therefore showed up as a supporting
character.

For this adventure I am preserving my original writing style.  It's
easy, it's nostalgic, and it fits Ellipsis.

In the flush of his youth, Ellipsis would have grimly escalated to
overwhelm any opponent in a power duel.  But this is twenty years on.
He's older, sadder, and a bit wiser.  He's settled down to science and
power politics, as have most of the heroes he works with.  But it's good
to remember, there are things worth fighting for.

This is August 2011 in SW10.  We last saw an SW10 story in May 2011.  A
*lot* of stuff has happened between May and August.  For one thing, in
May the Superhuman World was still cut off from other universes, unless
people made a huge effort to pierce the barricade.  So how is a wizard
from another universe making it there, without even wanting to?  There
*is* a good reason; I just have to write it.  The way I write things now
for the pleasure of actual readers, that story deserves a novel, or at
least a story cycle.  I'm planning one, under the working title "The
Summer of Discontent".  I've tried to make that stuff independent of
this episode, though.  I'm rushing this one into publication because it
might be important to other writers, thanks to my *own* damn idea about
crossovers...  Writing is haaard.  8{C>

But the results are fun.  8{D>

--
---------- Scott Eiler  8{D>  ----  http://www.eilertech.com --------