[MV] The Super Wizard From Space #17: The Echo People, Part 1

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Aug 5 07:01:54 PDT 2011

On 8/3/2011 7:14 AM, Wil Alambre wrote:

> One pitched battle came particularly close, the defensive monk
> successfully wearing down his faltering foe. The gecko snarled and
> made a leap onto the wall, sticking to it with his adhesive toe pads.
> With the speed of decades of practice, he scrambled along the wall
> toward the fight. When the conservative combatant was distracted, the
> gecko wrapped his tail around the puny man's neck and slammed him
> face-first into the wall. Then, just for the hell of it, he slammed
> him against the wall a few more times.

I figured at first this was a result of Brody Dharma losing his cool and
attacking the wrong monk.  Now I know better.

> Raising a hand, she pointed right at the gecko and demanded, "Theodor
> Ghoszt Fish, who isz this?"
>
> Theodor dropped an inch or two, a shimmering ripple of grey confusion
> spreading from his psychic centre. "Oh no. More amnesia. This is..."
>
> "No, thisz isz not," she cut off. "Hisz head isz bare. A coszmic crown
> doesz not szo easzily abandon itsz perch."

A nice role for Queen Buzzz.  I still figure her for a villain (despite
her protestations, hive creatures do not just go rogue to attack her
enemies), but she's got an almost heroic role here.

> As you notice, our protagonist, the super wizard himself, is not featured in
> this issue. He's barely even mentioned. This is because he may or may not be
> appearing in other RACC imprints as part of the current High Concept Challenge.

I figured it was because his supporting cast is becoming strong enough
to take over the series.  Something like that happened to me when I
transitioned from "Me in Comic Books 2006" to "Superhuman World 2007".

I'm looking forward to the coming issues.  Especially with Space
Jellyfish on the horizon.  8{D>

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.