META: Google Groups

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Aug 4 18:25:19 PDT 2011

On 8/4/2011 3:16 PM, Wil Alambre wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed how sporadic Google Groups has been for keeping up to date with the newsgroup emails? Its as it, once in a while, it'll just not bother, catching up on the weekend instead.
>
> I've been (incredibly slowly) working on a new version of my RACC site and had been contemplating abandoning the Google Groups RSS feed parsing the site had been leaning on. About half the time, I had been manually massaging the data afterwards, so it's main value was diluted anyway.
>
> I don't mind populating the site by hand instead, though I may end up dropping the "news" column. What are your guys' thoughts? Are you guys using the site and, if so, how are you using it (reading, linking, archive, etc)?
>
> - Wil

I use Google Groups as a backup to e-mailed posts from the mailing list,
which I in turn use as a backup to a news reader.   And you're right,
Google Groups sometimes puts out several days worth of posts at once in
their digests.

Could you key your web site off the mailing list, or are you looking for
an on-demand repository?

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.