LNH/META: Trinity

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Aug 3 19:23:00 PDT 2011

On 8/3/2011 4:48 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 01:57:40 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> And have we noticed, many Big Threes are more like Big Two plus a
>> hanger-on?  Judging from comic book sales, Wonder Woman is a hanger-on.
>>    So are Cap, Thor, and Iron Man.  Marvel's Big Three should be
>> Spider-Man, Wolverine, and whoever this year's hanger-on is.
>
> Oh, I don't know.  The Avengers, as a franchise, have been doing bang-up
> well in recent years. (Admittedly, part of this has been adding, at times,
> both Spidey and Wolverine to the roster, but...) Still, of those three, I
> think only Captain America has the proper iconic value in the long-term.

At least part of the explanation for the Avengers boom is, half the
heroes of the Marvel Universe are Avengers now.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.