LNH/META: Trinity

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Aug 2 18:57:40 PDT 2011

On 8/2/2011 12:06 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> A bit of random rambling, resulting from wiki-edits...
>
> The trio of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, by virtue of surviving the
> Interregnum between the Golden Age and Silver Age, have long been thought
> of as a threesome that's the next level above the A-list, the central
> characters, in a way, of the DCU.  Lately, Marvel has been pushing the idea
> that Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America form a similar group.

SW10:  Ellipsis, Wyatt Ferguson, The Hurrier.

> Now, the LNH doesn't work the same way as the above companies; which
> characters are in the spotlight has a lot less to do with trademark
> retention and reader numbers and a lot more to do with which writers are
> active and what they feel like writing about.  Nevertheless, I've noticed
> that, in my mind, there's a threesome of series which have become
> emblematic of the LNH in my mind: Limp-Asparagus Lad, The Adventures of
> Easily-Discovered Man, and Writer's Block Woman (and Mouse).  These three
> (well, five if you count EDMLite and Mouse, which you should) (well, eight
> if you count Retcon Lad, Fourth Wall Lass, and Kid Not Appearing In Any
> Retcon Hour Story) (anyway) represent LNH characters in my mind.
>
> How about you?  Who, in your mind, represents LNH characters?

I came in late, so my LNH Trinity looks like Anal-Retentive Archive Kid,
Ultimate Ninja, and, uh, Kid Enthusiastic.  Do I have the right universe
on that last one?

And have we noticed, many Big Threes are more like Big Two plus a
hanger-on?  Judging from comic book sales, Wonder Woman is a hanger-on.
  So are Cap, Thor, and Iron Man.  Marvel's Big Three should be
Spider-Man, Wolverine, and whoever this year's hanger-on is.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.