SW10/HCC: April 2011 #2: The Satanists with the Silver Skull Machine

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Apr 27 18:16:54 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:38:36 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> I wasn't going to give my world to the Victorians, even though it would
>> have been interesting to see how their Royal Navy and its Britannic Academy of
>> Sciences at its East Pacific base would deal with that problem.  They'd probably
>> send an expedition to go plunder a mystic artifact from deepest Africa to fix
>> things... no, wait, here's a collection right here in Britannia Beach!  Hmmm,
>> maybe I need a story insert after all.
>
> I agree!  My point was really that, if you're going to do something like
> that, you need to do something *with* it.  So there ya go!

All righty, then.  I shall have to be careful with anything I add to the story,
though.  The forces in play will squash *typical* Victorians like they were
space unicorns, and throwing in a Victorian wizard to save them will make it a
whole different story.  And if I keep a Victorian world accessible for future
plot fun, it cheapens the multiversal blockade the Superhuman World is under.
Not that the challenge is insurmountable, but I'll have to get back to you with
the response.

>>> So are there going to be any more of those challenges?
>> Maybe eight years from now, if anyone's still around for it and there's anything
>> left to fight over...
>
> Well, that's the thing.  There doesn't seem to be?

Heh heh.  You have stumbled upon my Master Plan to take plot items off the
board, not put them on.  First the Wolf-Woman of Tennessee, and now the Engines
of Reality.  When I say Twilight of the Superhuman World, I mean it.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.