SW10/HCC: April 2011 #2: The Satanists with the Silver Skull Machine

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Apr 26 17:38:36 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 02:18:44 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> With a name like Britannia Beach, how could I *not* have
>> Victorians?  Adu came in after that concept.  But he definitely added some
>> dynamic tension to it.
>
> Ahhhhhh.  ...yeah, it didn't really have any consequence beyond that
> element.

Yep.  I wasn't going to give my world to the Victorians, even though it would
have been interesting to see how their Royal Navy and its Britannic Academy of
Sciences at its East Pacific base would deal with that problem.  They'd probably
send an expedition to go plunder a mystic artifact from deepest Africa to fix
things... no, wait, here's a collection right here in Britannia Beach!  Hmmm,
maybe I need a story insert after all.

>> I suppose that power must even now have reverted to whatever issued it.  Which
>> could be a problem in future... but one problem at a time.
>
> So are there going to be any more of those challenges?

Maybe eight years from now, if anyone's still around for it and there's anything
left to fight over...

>> Today I read how the Avengers dealt with a very similar issue.  I am now really,
>> really proud I ended my story the way I did.
>
> Oh, my.  Not sure I want to ask...

You probably shouldn't.  Let's just say, I now find my real-world friends more
inspirational than I find Marvel Comics.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.