SW10: December 2010 #7: Cauldron Book II Part 7 (of 7)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Apr 23 19:37:07 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 01:53:28 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> Andrew Perron wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>> You know, when you can't even complete step *one* of your absurdly
>>> complicated plan to rule the world...
>> Heh.  Whenever this guy tried to rule the world before this, he had help.  Or
>> more accurately, he *was* the help.  Others had The Plan.
>
> My goodness.  What a dork. XD
>
>>> Weak!  Next time try something that doesn't scream "HAY I AM IN UR HEAD".
 >
>> Trope!  I'll admit, I don't have first-hand experience at being mind-controlled,
>> so I have to guess what it would be like.  I figure it must be like dreaming
>> when you're half-awake:  you get this random thought in your head, and you say,
>> "Hey, I didn't mean to think that!"  So *something* must be in your head.
>
> Oh, I didn't think this was badly-done - quite the opposite!  I agree with
> your assessment of what mind control must be like.  I was mocking his
> feeble attempts at it.

Ah, I see.  Thanks...

Lateran really *is* pretty feeble for all his power, isn't he?  Sometimes I
think I make my villains too lame... but then I hear some news like Donald Trump
running for President, and then I think I'm just being realistic.  8{D>

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.