SW10: December 2010 #6: Cauldron Book II Part 6 (of 7)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Apr 14 17:38:30 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:

>>> ...I know what she means, but that's an oddly simplistic way of putting it.
>> Norma made it simple on purpose.  Really, it was an evil *monkey* from another
>> universe.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/femforce.htm
>
> That's not quite what I mean - more like, it's the kind of phrasing you'd
> use with a kindergartener.

... or if militiamen might be listening.  I suppose Norma might have embellished
the language around that statement a bit, but the core statement is very simple.
  Sometimes simple is good.

>>> ...I'm confused.
>> If I hadn't put in the man's outrageous accent, you and Summer would have
>> understood him better.  As for the rest, the confusion was intentional.
>
> Noon?  Noon? @.@ I think this goes beyond "outrageous accent" and into "I
> have no idea what these words are trying to communicate".

I figured it is the French version of "Nooo!".  The man saying it was not
exactly trying to communicate, so I didn't try to make him understood.  Maybe I
could have said it, "Nooooo...n".

>> Speaking of which, a certain woman I know is taking up comic books!  Someone
>> gave her a stack.  I saw among these the first X-Men vs. Dracula story, plus the
>> first appearance of Doomsday vs. Superman.  I said, "These could be valuable."
>> She correctly responded, "Well, I'll let my son read them, then I'll sell them
>> later."
>
> Indeed. (And the latter is almost certainly not valuable, since it was
> supposed to be.)
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, the former, somebody else probably
> knows...

eBay knows, *both* the comics I mentioned were going for about a dollar.  That
would explain why someone was giving them away for people's kids to read.  Which
is also the correct answer.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.