SW10/HCC: April 2011 #2: The Satanists with the Silver Skull Machine

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Apr 11 18:24:06 PDT 2011

Wil Alambre wrote:
> Scott Eiler wrote:
>> During review, the next RACC High Concept Challenge came up: Secret of
>> the Silver Skull Machine. At first I was going to pass, or at least give
>> it its own story, because no machine would be the most powerful thing in
>> *this* story. But then I realized, I'd already put a machine in! It knew
>> the risks. And it could have won.
>
> Less than two days after posting the challenge, and already two entries.
> Super cool. Am looking forward to more!
>
> Speaking of which, I'm not clear how some aspects of these challenges;
> I'm assuming I can submit a story for the challenge if I want, it just
> wouldn't be eligible for voting, correct?

But of course.

There was one time Saxon and I co-sponsored a contest.  We both submitted "demo"
entries for that one, just to prove that people *could* write about swimming
with chocolate.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.