LNH/REVIEW: The Tribuations of Kid Review #6

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:59:43 PDT 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 00:31:48 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

> On Tues 5/April/2011 Andrew Perron (pwerdna at gmail.com) wrote:
> [...]
>>  He scrolled through thoughtfully and landed on one. "...you know, I
>> wonder what would happen if..."
>
> In my experience this phrase is an important starting point for many
> speculative fiction stories.  Thinking about it, I seem to recall it's
> also important (along with 'Hey, now that's strange...') in scientific
> discovery.

Naturally.  Curiosity made the cat happy and interested for the rest of its
life.

>> "I have a theory that a big reason RACC is still going strong is because
>> of EoMR.  Note that the year before it started, 2003, had some of the
>> lowest posting numbers in the group's history; things started improving
>> in the latter half of 2004, and April 2006 was the highest month since
>> February 1998.  Feedback improves communities."
>
> Oh wow.  Now there's a statement to stoke my ego with pleasure and needle
> my sense of responsibility with paranoia.

Well, if we got some more reviewers going, it would help with the latter,
hint hint guys <_< >_>

> Also, the time where I jumped around some
> issues of _Limp-Asparagus Lad_ with the intention of coming back and
> filling them in later *and then never doing so* still sits in my memory
> as a warning on my ability to procrastinate.

Hah!  I am... jeez, am I the *only* RACC writer who's ever kept such a
promise? @_@

> In short: I'm trying to be realistic about the nature of my
> writing/production flaws, and I do not want to build up a stockpile of
> 'coping mechanisms' that would give me excuses for further procrastination.

That is perfectly reasonable.

>> "These were great - indeed, the best part of the issue. Quirky
>> characterization in unexpected places is a major selling point of Tim's
>> style."
>
> Ah, now there's a succinct phrase for the phenomenon.

It is my specialty!

>> "Never... do... another... meta-review." He fell over.
>
> I shall take this as sage advice and try to heed it.

Then let us never speak of this again!

> More like 'RACC will engage in some recursive and amazingly silly chaotic
> add-on antics, which is after all how the whole thing got started in the
> first place'

Chaos is a useful writing tool.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, curiouser and curiouser!