WWW: New webcomic

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 09:32:17 PDT 2010

Yeah, I didn't find the humour or the art to my taste.  What makes
Penny Arcade stand out from a lot of the other gaming web-comics are
(1) its attention to language, which is always precise if sometimes
(okay, a lot of the time) vulgar, (2) that it isn't so much a web-
comic about gaming culture but a sort of op-ed/editorial cartoon about
gaming culture, and those are two very different things, (3) the
pacing is spot-on in the tradition of the three or four panel gag
(sometimes a difficult science to master), and (4), at least from 2005
or so onwards, its very dynamic and clean art style.

The art in this strip is too detailed for my taste, the framing of the
action lacks punch, the figures don't seem alive and fluid but rather
posed.  I don't find the language particularly precise or enjoyable
(though that's something that might improve with time) or the pacing
to be particularly good (ditto).

This, of course, is coming from someone who draws single-panel
cartoons on construction paper with a sharpie marker and than slaps
some sort of goofy and often nonsensical caption on it-- that'd be
tomdrawsstuffwithcaptions.blogspot.com -- so really, take what I say
with more than a few grains of salt.

==Tom