[META] Why I Love Legacy Characters

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Sep 15 19:52:26 PDT 2010

On Sep 15, 8:35 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are probably more reasons to cherish and enjoy this storytelling
> tactic.  What about you?  Why do you love legacy characters?  Or, for that
> matter, is there anyone out there who doesn't?  Who thinks that new
> characters should be new characters, and not have to follow on from someone
> else?  Whatcha think?

You're all about to find out what I think of making my own legacy
characters from generations past.  This will figure in my High Concept
Challenge entry, which will be a bit more timely than in previous
months.

In general, I like the concept.  But if these characters had been
truly effective, they'd have changed the world already.

My attitude is largely influenced by a superhero RPG campaign I once
joined, wherein stereotypical World War 2 heroes went up against real
bullets.  That campaign didn't last very long.