SW10, HCC: September 2010 #1: The Sinking, Part 1

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Oct 27 15:08:59 PDT 2010

On Oct 26, 12:29 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:38:16 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> > The Whale Woman thinks this is the Sign Of The Apocalypse or
> > something. Aw, come on. Lots of people say that, but mankind's still
> > here.
>
> This is a great attitude - and how I feel a good chunk of the time.

I usually don't.  But someone in my universe ought to.

> > The government's asked me to stay in Ketchikan until a trial. While
> > I'm here, I drink with the locals. They don't want to sink ships.
> > Alaska is all about ships. But lots of Alaskans came from "below".
> > They say they'd blow up skyscrapers if they could. I hope they're just
> > venting.
>
> Now this is an interesting subplot.  You wouldn't expect Alaska to become a
> hotbed of political strife, but an event like this is most certainly going
> to shift the centers of power, at least temporarily.  Neat!

I hadn't thought of "blow up skyscraper" = "political power", but your
own point is still good.

> One nitpick: You use the phrase "salmon powers" a *lot*.  We can figure out
> she's using her salmon powers without it being explicitly pointed out for
> the sixteenth time.

Oops, I hadn't counted.  But Nell's a simple writer, and the World
Journal Monthly is for a simple audience.  I can understand how its
editors might want to ram the point home.  Still, I suppose I can do
another editorial pass for the permanent record...