SW10, HCC: September 2010 #1: The Sinking, Part 1

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:29:07 PDT 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:38:16 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> I got salmon powers from that. It
> helped me win an uphill swimming contest. But the producers made me
> promise not to tell how. Really, I don't understand how either.

A lack of exposition that makes a lot of sense!

> After I got salmon powers, I got invited to Alaska for a salmon
> festival. Alaska's really proud of how they have enough food for
> everyone now, even when the rest of the US is running out because of a
> bad harvest. Alaska's started shipping more salmon to the Lower 48,
> and some caribou too.

Oooooh.  Nice.

> Everyone else went to phone people. I asked, "Um, shouldn't someone go
> help?" They said, well, yeah, that's why they were all going to
> phones.

Sensible!

> The Whale Woman says she didn't sink the ship. She came from the
> future to watch other people sink it! She was trying to prevent it,
> but she was looking around the starboard hull for dynamite. Instead a
> small boat slammed from port... It must suck to be from the future if
> you want to keep track of the past. We can't even do that here.
> Doesn't everyone argue about what the past was?

A good point, when it comes to time-travel plots.

> The Whale Woman thinks this is the Sign Of The Apocalypse or
> something. Aw, come on. Lots of people say that, but mankind's still
> here.

This is a great attitude - and how I feel a good chunk of the time.

> The government's asked me to stay in Ketchikan until a trial. While
> I'm here, I drink with the locals. They don't want to sink ships.
> Alaska is all about ships. But lots of Alaskans came from "below".
> They say they'd blow up skyscrapers if they could. I hope they're just
> venting.

Now this is an interesting subplot.  You wouldn't expect Alaska to become a
hotbed of political strife, but an event like this is most certainly going
to shift the centers of power, at least temporarily.  Neat!

One nitpick: You use the phrase "salmon powers" a *lot*.  We can figure out
she's using her salmon powers without it being explicitly pointed out for
the sixteenth time.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, ice armor!