SW10: September 2010 #1: The Sinking, Part 2

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Oct 16 16:48:07 PDT 2010

Afterword by Wyatt Ferguson.

I pride myself on going everywhere. I've been to Alaska twice - but it
was the Aleutian Islands both times. (1988 2004) The rest of Alaska is
a big place, and I can't swear to native knowledge therein. As a
Federal agent, I collect testimony from whom I can. I've met Nell the
Waitress, and I trust her witness.

I do have to say, Nell's come to the Pacific Northwest and gotten
animal powers. I know someone who did that before her. Indian tribes
would be the most obvious source. Perhaps they're selling these
powers. It makes as much sense as selling space on The Res for a toxic
waste dump - which has already happened.

Before Nell, there was a young woman named Kristi. She made me swear
never to call her the Whale Girl. I myself brought her back from the
future. Her future was the end of the world by a plague of cold. I
have to say, Kristi's future's is on track. I've fallen out of contact
with Kristi, but I think Nell may have made contact. As Nell
mentions...

On 30 September 2010, one of the ferry ships of Ketchican, Alaska
collided with a freighter which was towing some barges. The collision
was apparently on purpose by Alaskan protesters who'd commandeered the
ferry.

The protesters said, during the current food crisis Alaska should not
send food away from Alaskans. Alaska usually imports food to
supplement what its own hunters get. But the U.S. Gov has started
slaughtering the caribou herds as a food source for part of the rest
of the nation. This is in addition to the usual salmon shipments. So
extra food is for once being shipped out of Alaska. And people object
to that...

... Shit. Our Vice-President once said that about the situation. One
commentator out on the Internet responded, Shit Indeed. Now people
often say, Shit. Shit Indeed. And so a crisis is reduced to a slogan.

Of course, there is protest. There's some organized support too.
Militiamen splintered after a gathering they had last month, but each
segment is even more active now.

Evil Mayor Anvernacht was involved in the militia gathering. He now
has Satanic powers. He disappeared then.

National Science Advisor Stephen Wolcott has left his post to track
Anvernacht. Wolcott is better known as the superhuman Ellipsis. He and
Anvernacht are old enemies, apparently even more so than Anvernacht
and I are. I call him Evil Mayor Anvernacht because he abducted me
once.

Since our Earth's orbit changed, much of U.S. national security has
depended on a calm population. This was initially delivered by the
"Emperor Ted" with alien armor. But the effects of this armor have
been wearing off since February of this year.

Ellipsis is known to be a telepath. He's suspected to have mind
control powers, though he's never admitted this. Still, there's been
increasing discontent but no incidents - until now. I suspect Ellipsis
was secretly intervening.

If Ellipsis really was propping up the national security, it must have
been reluctantly. He used to sponsor independence movements in
Greenland, Keewatin, the Aleutian Islands, and everywhere else he
could get away with. In Patagonia this backfired.

With Ellipsis off his national science-but-secretly-security post, the
crazies have surfaced. Stonewater Smith from the militia convention in
Montana has emerged in South Carolina as the patriotic front man of
the Nehemiah Covenant group. The Nehemiah Covenant is dedicated to
keep holy people occupying America as once they did in Israel.
Stonewater Smith preaches how he was spared from Hell to lead people
to sweet water from the stone as Moses did, if only they should
believe... I'd usually say, "Whatever", but I'm scared. Simple-minded
faith may be contagious now.

We don't know yet if President Obama will send troops to put down
unrest among American citizens. Not even Vice-President Corrigan can
predict that. Obama came to power as an independent, and had to make
deals left and right. Hillary Clinton became Secretary of State, and
John McCain for Homeland Security. McCain's ready to send the National
Guard to domestic terror sites, but there's some popular outcry, and
Obama's being noncommittal.

One day after the Alaska sinking, a bomb went off at a construction
site in Colorado Springs. An e-mailed statement said they weren't
bombing finished buildings, because only terrorists do that, but there
should be no construction other than survival.

"Terror" and "Resistance" are both wrong words. But we've now seen the
new stupidity in the face of extinction. If this goes on, we all will
sink.

... Shit. Shit indeed.

---

Author's Note:  The full story is on the Web at
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/sinking.htm .  The latter part
of the story is full of hyperlinks to previous stories.  But you're
not missing any story content if you just read it all here.