MISC/HIGH CONCEPT 9: Mini Essay: Mars and the Dark Age of Superheroes

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 08:33:27 PDT 2010

[MISC/HIGH CONCEPT 9] Mini Essay: Mars and the Dark Age of Superheroes

     So.  How *would* Mars, god of war (or Ares, to use his ancient Greek
name) cause the Dark Age of superhero comics?
     I'm not sure exactly when I came to the realisation that the Dark
Age would be a perfect plot for Ares.  Possibly the notion gelled when
I purchased and read _GURPS Mars_ when it was published back in 2002...
     Actually, 'plot' isn't quite the correct word in this context.  In
this scenario Ares would indeed be knowingly and deliberately causing
superheroes to become nineties style grim'n'gritty antiheroes.  However
'plot' implies a once-off scheme that would be thwartable, whereas what
I'm talking about is a longer term - but possibly/hopefully cyclic -
social movement among the superhumans.
     Anyway, in the aforementioned _GURPS Mars_, in the section on
'Mystic Mars' in chapter 3, there's a meta-concept about a hypothetical
'Mars entity' whose attributes would be an average of the various
polytheistic gods associated with the planet: aggressive masculinity,
heat, blood and warfare, etc.  It also mentions the possibility of
travellers to Mars being affected by this being and becoming infected
with 'Martian souls' and acting in a 'Mars like manner'.  Now, this is a
story seed that could be used for almost any genre of fantastic fiction,
but my particular love has always been four-colour superheroes.  How
would this play out for superheroes?
     That depends.  In a supervillainous plot, then the god would
obviously coerce, corrupt or possess superheroes in a way that would be
easily detectable (for those to whom it occurs to look) and reversible.
As the instigator of the antihero movement it would require more subtly
- which may or may not be within his wherewithal.  To recap our Greek and
Roman mythology: traditionally Ares is depicted as a violent, capricious
and rather cowardly and stupid god who wasn't very popular.  Athena,
goddess of wisdom, was a better go-to as war god, since her first
instinct is for peaceful resolutions to disputes and when she is forced
into battle is usually victorious because of her tactical skills.  As
the Roman Mars he had a better reputation, since he started out as an
agriculture god who was called on to guard the fields, and only later
became identified with Ares and Ares' violent buffoonery.
     However, what I'm thinking of is the depiction of Ares in George
Perez's post-Crisis reboot of the _Wonder Woman_ series from the late
1980s.  The first major story arc involved Ares growing in power and
influence as he manipulated the late Cold War era nations towards war.
Wonder Woman's greatest triumph over him was not the thwarting of his
plans to prod the United States and Soviet Union into war, but to make
him recognise that a MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) conflict would
kill the population of the Earth, leaving him utterly alone as the sole
god ruling over a dead world, and thereby prompting him to back down from
his plans.  Which begs the question: are gods capable of learning,
changing and growing?
     Again, that depends.  Metatextually, if you find an appropriate
rationalisation then you can write a character any way you want.  And
over the years there have been various ways that gods have been written.
Anywhere ranging from individuals capable of personal growth through to
being extremes of anthropomorphic personification who literally cannot
see the world except through the paradigm of their portfolio.  We can
take our pick.  (In passing I will make the observation that a lot of
modern literature that tells stories *about* gods, cosmic entities or
similar personifications (rather than featuring them as supporting
characters) like to treat them as individuals with strong limits.  I
suspect that exploring the limits of a cosmic entity appeals because it
is an exotic variation on the story engine of 'man versus self'.)
     But I'm wandering away from my primary thesis, again.  Let's say
that one day Ares takes it into his head to foster a culture of super-
human warriors much like the one that mythology tells us existed in the
days of ancient Greece.  Remember, the 'heroes' at that time were mighty
warriors who went out and did epic deeds without necessarily being
champions of justice.
     Ah yes, *now* you can see how it all begins to fit together.
     In any case, the whys and wherefores are mere details after that;
important for how the story unfolds, but secondary to the high concept.
Is it the case that in this continuity that Ares' actions parallel those
of many superhero histories, which has been to instigate localised and
one-off schemes of violence that have been thwarted by heroes and earned
him the reputation of supervillain?  Then perhaps the idea - or rather,
postmodern superhero cliche - that 'the superheroes always win' has
occurred to him.  It's unlikely that a braggart such as Ares would simply
revise his actions to pass unnoticed by the superheroes - while he can
be a coward he wouldn't see himself as such, and in any case it can again
be argued the subtly needed to hide his actions is more typical of Athena
 than of himself.  It is not within the conventional characterisation of
Ares' ego  to *hide* his plans from the superheores; he's far more likely
to try to *use* the superheroes as efficient tools.
    Then again, perhaps in this particular continuity Ares has never been
in the position of having his designs thwarted as a mere supervillainous
plot.  If so, then perhaps his worldview is limited by his divinity to the
extent that he honestly cannot comprehend a heroic culture that does not
involve adventuring and slaying one's enemies, and he's simply setting the
world to rights as he sees it.  Remember, mercy and forbearance in pursuit
of just combat are Athena's attributes.
    Maybe Ares didn't instigate the Dark Age, but has taken advantage of
it and encouraged it once he became aware of it.  He may have noticed an
increase in his power once a small but significant number of antiheroes
had reached a threshold level, and decided to take use it as an additional
theurgic power source.  He may decide to adopt 'superheroes' as another
divine concept and then try and mould it into his image - which could be
a catastrophic mistake on his part if the cyclic nature of superheroic
culture eventually causes the number of antiheroes to drop and leaves him
powerless.  Or worse, starting to transform him into a champion of justice
against his will, which is something that would weaken him even more
because that's a concept that Athena already has a lock on.
    Or then again, what if there's an enormous threat approaching, and
then only way that the heroes will be able to save the Earth is if he
toughens them up to be ruthless warriors.
    Which brings us to the plot in brief: On an expedition/mission to Mars
one of the superheroes is transformed and given an aggressive Martian soul.
He (and it will probably be a he; once again, the subtly of hiding his
machinations in a woman, who would nominally be under the jurisdiction of
Aphrodite/Venus, is probably beyond Ares) might be quickly transformed
when he find himself separated from the others and zapped with a mind-
bending energy blast, or perhaps experiences a more drawn out life-
changing experience when a threat rears its head and he has to choose
between making the effort of traditional superhero methods on the one
hand and a quick and easy solution on the other.  Thereafter he acts as
a catalyst, both by example set by his deeds and by his mere presence,
for the initiating the antihero trend and starting the Dark Age.  Bad
things happen.  For more readable examples look to the _Kingdom Come_
miniseries from DC or the more recent _Astro City Dark Ages_ mini.
     All of these things have been sloshing around in my head since I
posted the theme for the 9th High Concept Challenge.  I toyed with
writing such a story.  Unfortunately, there's a problem.  A rather
obvious problem.  Can you see it?  Yes, well spotted.  I order to write
a story about how Ares caused the Dark Age of superheroes, I'd have to
write a story that involved the Dark Age of superheroes.  And even in
the short time frame allowed for the High Concept Challenge, I'm not
particularly motivated to write a story like that.

Postscript:
     For 'fun' story ideas there were a couple of variant notions that
I brainstormed for the 'maybe's section above - but didn't include for
reasons of either space or narrative flow of what I was writing.  The
'Ares transformed' option has a basis in something I've read on the
In Nomine RPG mailing list, about the original god Mars being killed
and his replacement being the embodiment of modern ideals of science
fiction about and space exploration to the red planet.  I still find
this paragraph by Moe Lane to be lovely: "He is Barsoom.  He is Doorsha.
He is Northwest Smith.  He is both John Carters.  He is the tragically
doomed race of the Martian Chronicles.  He is Valentine Michael Smith
and Poykane.  The face that some have seen in the sands is his face.
He knows every eddy and every wave of the canals that never graced the
Red Planet, and has sipped imaginary wine in Helium's nonexistent towers."
     And if something like that 'just happening' strikes you as unlikely,
then there's always the Athena ruler of Olympus option.  Remember Greg
Rucka's run on _Wonder Woman_ where Athena claimed the throne of Olympus
(now reversed, apparently by Editorial decree)?  Remember Athena's
defacto assumption of the position (despite Hera's objections) in Greg
Pak's _Hercules_?  So, Athena is now the Parazeus ("beyond Zeus"), the
next leader of Olympus, and decides to... re-engineer... her brother to
take up the role of 'heroic endeavour' that she no longer has the time
to deal with herself.  Leaders, even 'good' leaders, must occasionally
make ruthless decisions, yes?

---
Saxon Brenton
saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Daleks not only don't have noses, they don't a sense of humour.  So if
you trap one in a Monthy Python skit they will predictably self-destruct
in confusion and fear.