LNH/Meta: Woo hoo!! 18 years old!!!

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun May 2 17:33:19 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2 May 2010 23:11:30 +0000 (UTC), Peter Bruells wrote:

> Saxon Brenton <saxonbrenton at hotmail.com> writes:

>> (And before anyone asks, yes, I have encountered American
>> students studying here in Sydney who are really enthusiastic
>> for this little quirk in drinking laws -
>
> Quirk?  Isn't the 21-year rule mostly an Anglo Abberation prelevant in
> North America?

Looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems that most countries have 18 as the
limit. In North America specifically, Canada has 18 in some provices and 19
in others, and Mexico has 18 across the board (though for some odd reason,
Wikipedia lists it as 7). English-speaking countries in general tend to
have more relaxed laws; the UK has it as 5, as long as it's at home with
adult permission!

So, yes; the US is not only weird in general, it's weird even among its
peers.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, who doesn't really drink anyway.