[LNH] Looniverse Chronicles #1 (High Concept Challenge #7)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Mar 28 17:48:47 PDT 2010

On Mar 27, 10:47 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:

> 264 BC: Extend the Olive Branch... of DOOM!
>
>                     <--------------------->
>
> Cover shows a pair of chariots thundering towards the viewer.  A female
> figure in dotted-line invisibility stands to their right, thinking,
> .oO(Whoever wins - DIES!)

Oooh, I like it!  It definitely wins the action prize for this High
Concept.

> Bilistiche was a real person who won both the
> tethrippon and synoris races in 264 BC, and after she became the
> mistress of Ptolemy II Philadephius (the pharaoh of Greek Egypt at the
> time), she was deified as Aphrodite Bilistiche.

Aside from making sure nobody died from olive poisoning, was she using
her godly powers just to get her riders to win?  If so, that's
perfectly in character for an Olympian, but I'm surprised there
weren't other godlings around to mess with the race.

> About the series: Looniverse Chronicles is meant to be an anthology
> series that anyone can write, spanning times and places outside of the
> present-day LNH and their Earth. (I've already got ideas for ones that
> take place in the 1980s and in Celtic Britain.) Obviously, it doesn't
> need to be written in an overenthusiastic pastiche.

... but it helps.  I particularly liked the story better without Mount
Net.lympus.

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, just under the wire, by the severed
> genitals of Ouranos!

Wow, this contest is kind of like a chariot race itself.  8{D>