SW10, CONTEST: January 2010 #4: The Ministry of Speed

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Mar 26 12:32:46 PDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2:45 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:05:54 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> > (I'm told that names like "Speed", "Quick", "Zoom", and
> > "Hurrier" are unusual in English, though "Hurrier" - that is, "Eiler"
> > - is a common surname in German.)
>
> Heh heh heh.

You may well suspect, the Hurrier is my "Mary Sue" character.  But so
is Wyatt Ferguson, the editor from this story.  And so is Stephen
Wolcott, the world's most powerful supergenius from my other recent
story.   My various fictional selves don't get along very well.

> > I asked what support she had for her ministry to speed. As with any
> > ministry to addicts, no minster can do it alone. She responded, she
> > was recruiting extensively, and she'd gotten one Charles Brown to join
> > her staff. He was known to her patients as an expert on speed. I was
> > able to take a moment to confirm, Charles Brown was at least
> > affiliated with one known superhuman-mage Linus van Pelt. So her story
> > was at least plausible.
>
> ...what, seriously? >->

Yep.  I know putting them in *this* story probably violates a RACC
rule against fan fiction.  But Linus and Lucy have both grown up and
appeared in my fiction, so Charlie's earned the right.

> Good story!

Thanks.