LNH: Beige Midnight #6: The Bart Age: "The Ice Caverns of Existence"

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 18:31:59 PDT 2010

On Jun 2, 6:36 pm, Arthur Spitzer <arspit... at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Martin Phipps wrote:
> > On May 25, 6:48 pm, Arthur Spitzer <arspit... at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >> Wow, did it take like 8 months for me to write this?  (Well more like 7
> >> months to procrastinate and one month to write).  Uhhggggg.
>
> > It turned out okay.  I find it odd that people are more concerned
> > about Ripping Dancer's health than the fate of the world.  Would suck
> > if she got better and died with everybody else, eh?  The sense of
> > urgency returned at the end though.
>
> Hmm?  Don't see that.  The only person in the story that might fit that
> description would maybe be Dr. Stomper who seems to be willing to
> completely blow the whole mission in order to give Ripping Dancer some
> medical help... not that that goes anywhere...

Okay.  Doctor Stomper probably knows that if the author is still
writing this story then there will be an ending that doesn't involve
the entire LNH being killed but Ripping Dancer dying is a possibility.

Of course, if the title of the series were "The Last LNH Story" then
Stomper would be more concerned.

> As to why he does that?  Who knows.  I suppose he's not some cold
> rational thinking robot that always make the pragmatic choice, maybe
> that's it.
>
> I suppose the end of the world is an abstract concept as opposed to an
> actual teammate who's dying of cancer...
>
> But I think most of the people in the story are more concerned with the
> end of the world.

Yeah, there was more tension at the end.

> >>  I mostly
> >> blame my hatred of my current writing ability for the lateness of
> >> this...
>
> > There's something to be said for just going ahead and writing but then
> > what you end up with is more of an outline of a story than an actual
> > story.
>
> >> once I stopped caring about any sort of quality I did manage to
> >> get this finished.
>
> > I admit to being a bit confused.  I mean, the LNH is willing to kill
> > Bart when he has powers but not when he's just an ordinary guy.  I
> > guess it's the old "Would you go back in time and kill Hitler as a
> > baby?" moral dilemma.  Mind you, if you kill someone during Retcon
> > Hour what is the chance that they stay dead?  And, yeah, it would
> > explain Bart hating the LNH.
>
> What would killing Bart accomplish?  They'd just create a time paradox
> that might even be worse.  And the Bryttle's would just choose someone
> else to help free them.  It wouldn't do much.

Yeah, so I was confused as to why they were there.  But in a story
universe where permanent retcons can occur a time paradox could stick
IMO.

> >>  Since I do have the ability to write at least 4000
> >> words a week, this should have only taken me 4 weeks at the most.  I'm
> >> hoping the next one will come out faster.  I'm giving myself an ultimate
> >> deadline of April 29, 2011 for the whole series.
>
> > Hmm.  Depends on how much you have written so far.
>
> I figure I can write at least one issue a month... we'll see...

I'm afraid i have zero motivation for writing right now so I don't
know how to encourage you other than simply letting you know that I'm
still following the story.

> >> As for the stuff in this...
>
> >> Since we're in the 2010's (Teens?)... I guess we're now in the wallowing
> >> on 90s nostalgia decade... so everything from the 90s is cool again.
> >> Usenet, LNH, RACC... you name it... It's all hip.
>
> > Is my old walkman hip?  Because it used cassette tapes.  That's not
> > cool.
>
> Portable CD players were the 90s...

I was still using cassettes.  It wasn't that long ago that I watched
my first DVD either: nowadays you buy a computer you can play DVDs on
it but old disk drives typically only played CDs, VCDs and MP3s.

> > Oh, by the way, I don't remember reading any of this on the LNH
> > Authors newsgroup so, yeah, you must have written most of it fairly
> > recently.  (I haven't checked that group for a while.)  If I had I
> > would have pointed out that "due to" to not spelt "do to".  The
> > pronunciation is actually different.  Anyway, it's a mute point
> > because you've posted it already.
>
> I posted all of this to the 'Authors' group.  Most of it in May, but
> some in January...

Yeah but the finished story is a much better read than a little bit
here and a little bit there.  Sorry.

> > (Ha ha.  I know the term is "moot point".  I was just trying to be
> > coot.)

Martin