8FOLD: Journey Into # 13: The Five Graph Trap!

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 23:31:02 PDT 2010

[2nd post, 24 hours later ;
 Critical comment: fsck, I must have been high on flu medication when I
 composed this]

Okay, I'm back from dying hideously of the Lurgi. Here, let me use the
internet to infect you with my virus. Wha? Wrong type of virus for a
computer network? Well, you probably didn't want it anyway.

Hmm, what's this? I contributed to a flamewar? Gosh.

On Sun 25 July 2010 Tom Russell wrote:
> But but but-- they're *not* run-on sentences. Long, yes. Maybe too
> long. But it's not a run-on this is a run-on there are three complete
> sentences here that are not joined together by a conjunction or
> adequate punctuation. That's a run-on. Whereas if we render it like
> this:

-reads with interest-
Okay, I'll take your word for it. Bluntly, a lot of the stuff I know
about writing isn't from high school English classes (which I probably
learnt and then forgot) but from what I (re?)taught myself later when
I became interested in writing as a hobby. I doubt if I'd recognise
the definition of what a run-on sentence if it tore of it's clothes
and danced naked before me in an unseemly manner. So, yeah, definately
bad phrasing on my part.

So, to paraphrase a quote from alt.fan.pratchett back in the early 1990s:
My proverbial gazelle was in a tundraic environment because I didn't
know how to recognise a run-on sentence. But now, after wandering in
the desert of ignorance, the raincloud of pedantism has united me with
the axolotl of happiness.

---
Saxon Brenton

tV trOpes wiKi *HUnGeRS* and wAnts to EaT all yoUr frEe tiMe