META: Who do you write like?

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 21:11:50 PDT 2010

Eagle (eagle at eyrie.org) cast a critical eye and noted:
> Arthur Spitzer <arspitzer at earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Here's a link to something that analyzes your writings and finds what
>> famous writer your work resembles...
>
>> http://iwl.me/
>
> This unfortunately appears to be way less sophisticated than one might
> hope based on the idea.  There seem to be only about 15-20 authors
> possible for it to return, and it routinely gets works by those same
> authors wrong.
>
> Lots of people were hoping it was going to do more advanced textual
> analysis, but it appears to be some sort of simple-minded statistical
> vocabulary matching.  (It was also, at least for a time, advertising
> ripoff "self-publishing" schemes to aspiring writers, but it's not clear
> if that was actually the point of the site or just an ad rotation.)

Yes.  I was a bit disappointed when I played with it for a bit and
discovered that it would tell me who it thought I wrote like without
explaining how it came to that conclusion.

For what it's worth, here's the results of a small sample of some of my
more recent (within the past half decade) stuff:

Limp-Asparagus Lad #55  (the September 11 story)
  Cory Doctorow

Limp-Asparagus Lad #56 'Decimation part 1' (the start of the Ape Month 3 parter)
  Stephenie Meyer

Limp-Asparagus Lad #58 'Decimation part 3' (the very late finale of the Ape Month 3 parter)
  David Wallace Foster

My Father's Son #1
  David Wallace Foster

Legion of Net.Heroes vol.2 #33 'Gathering Dust' (the anachronid story for the 5th High Concept Challenge)
  Arthur C. Clarke

---
Saxon Brenton