META/PRECOGS: Something to Think About

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 16:48:15 PST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:00:51 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps wrote:

> On Jan 30, 5:17 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In a Silver Age sort of feel, the heroes are defensive forces,
>> sustainers of society.  In a Bronze Age sort of feel, the heroes are
>> destructive forces, taking apart that which is corrupt, breaking it
>> down so it can be rebuilt.
>>
>> But in a Golden Age sort of feel, the heroes are creative forces.
>> They go out, they explore, they change things, they make a new status
>> quo.
>>
>> And what if there was a universe where that feel was the guiding
>> aspect?
>
> Wasn't the Authority like that?  And the Squadron Supreme? I didn't
> read either of those because I've been in Asia for so long and I
> haven't had access to any comics but the idea of heroes "changing
> things" and "making a new status quo" is scary if you take it
> seriously: they basically would use their powers to exert authority
> over others.  It isn't a good thing.

No and no.  Yes, both of those series were about changing things, but they
were more about the Bronze Age feel above; they were about what happens
*after* you destroy the corrupt order.

Changing != conquest.  New status quo != overthrow.  Exerting authority
over others isn't the only way to make things different.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, who was inspired more by Planetary for
this bit than anything.