LNH/Contest: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #34

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 15:41:06 PST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:52:05 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

> In a desperate attempt to procrastinate from the scanning workload, Saxon replies promptly for once:
>> On Weds 24 Feb 2010 Andrew Perron  wrote:
>>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:56:54 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:
>>>
>>>      He had quickly determined that there was no chocolate to be found
>>> anywhere in the Looniverse.  However there had been clear indications
>>> of chocolate in other universes, so he had made a quick trip across to
>>> Looniearth-B to acquire some in his TANDI, his magically powered
>>> space-time travel machine.
>>
>> Has this shown up before?  Also, I read this as Looniearth-Y at first.  I
>> was hoping for a stealth crossover! ;.;
>
> Looniearth-B?  Or the TANDI?  The answer either way is 'yes'.

I meant the TANDI.  I'm familiar with Looniearth-B, though I'm not sure if
I've ever read anything set there.

> Josh Guernick created Occultism Kid, and introduced the TANDI when he
> wrote the OKid miniseries _All Things Dark And Scary_.

Ah, another one I really need to read.

>>> He has a horrible premonition of not just
>>> chocolate, or things associated with chocolate, but things associated
>>> with things associated with chocolate, lapsing out of existence as the
>>> Yama Nictrama methodically and wrong-headedly take the world to pieces
>>> in pursuit of their objective.
>>
>> Eesh.  That'll do it.
>
> With more time to develop the notion I think this would have made a good
> horror story.

Indeed!  It'd be perfect for nice slow atmospheric build-up.

>>> Their current state of
>>> being mires then in a materialist worldview, which if nothing else
>>> explains their reductive attempt to find god.
>>
>> Ooooooh.  Interesting point of view.
>
> Among a few other things that were cut was the explanation of *how* that
> bit of phsycology worked.  So I flatly stated it as a bit of background
> detail instead.

Makes sense.  Hardwired indeed.

>> (Also, I thought Blood Music was that short story where a guy's individual
>> cells become self-aware.)
>
> That's the one I'm thinking of.  Apparently it started as a short story
> (which I haven't read) and then got expanded to a novel.

Ahhhhh.  I'll have to read the novel, then!

>> T'was a well-told story.  I was just surprised wReamhack and Renegade
>> Programmer didn't show up again!
>
> At first I thought they would, but then I started having to revise things.
> They needed to be kept in at least the first scene to generate the proper
> 'some is very wrong' mood without relying on into dumping, but in the end
> they mainly had extended cameo appearances.  In retrospect I probably
> shouldn't have named them in the character roster at the start; it raises
> expectations.

I would've just had them show up in the last scene.  Maybe have OK explain
red chocolate to them.

> And now in the ineviatble discussion thread, I'll reveal another throwaway
> reference that got cut: about how during the Infinite Leadership Crisis
> the demon that Occultism Kid uses as a door warden got called up to lead
> the Legion for a day, and knowing that it would vanish at midnight locked
> OKid's room by putting it out of phase in an other-dimensional moebius strip
> - so that when Mynabird's army of net.villains ransacked Legion headquarters
> they didn't get into OKid's room because it literally wasn't in the building
> at the time.  (As you say:  Yay.  World building)

Wooooo!  (Wait, he's actually a member of the LNH?)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, wiki-edit!