SW91: Hemmed In

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Feb 9 16:10:11 PST 2010

On Feb 9, 4:44 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 01:57:14 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
> > This year during my break, I've been mining my old fiction to put on
> > the Web.  (Link available athttp://www.eilertech.com/stories/startup.htm
> > .)  All these years I was afraid to read my old writing.  But when I
> > finally did, I discovered, I used to write a lot more dialog than I do
> > now!  In retrospect, that came naturally from spending the years
> > 1983-1992 to write a story that ultimately took place 1990-1992.
>
> Hmmmm.  So is this the original, or a rewritten version?

Original!  I edited it just enough to make it legible after
scanning.

> > Laura Greene, Morningstar, does not practice nearly as much as the
> > others.  She's agreed to work with the others in crisis situations,
> > but she's not going to look for trouble - and she sees no reason why
> > trouble should find her, if she lives a good life in the Lord.  Even
> > if it should, the power in her stone should handle it.
>
> There's a problem here.  This doesn't actually describe what her powers
> are.  Thus, I'm only assuming that this was due to her:

Oops.  I described her powers in issue #1 - and then I published #5
instead of #1, and forgot that every issue is someone's first.

> > The next day, Professor Carlsberg is overcome by sudden - and
> > unexplainable! – remorse.  He turns himself in to the campus police.
> > They release him due to lack of evidence.  Ellipsis has taken all his
> > stockpiles.

Remorse would be more an Ellipsis power.  He's got mind control.

> And I have no idea what's going on here:
>
> > Morningstar, in front, falls before the assault at first.  But she
> > thinks: No.  I mustn't! Stephen says I don't have to! There must be
> > some way...  She rises, and beats back the assaults.

Morningstar has telekinesis powers, especially over biological matter
- such as her own flesh.

> Overall, interesting, though definitely showing its heritage as an early
> work.

Yep.  Thanks for the comments, though.  I can rewrite anything in my
library.