LNH/ACRA/WRIMO: Anal-Retentive Archive Kid: A Judicious Use Of Overkill #11

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 12:36:57 PST 2010

On Dec 30, 3:24 pm, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:

>      "Oh, put a sock in it Lite," groused ARAK.  "This isn't the time
> for your ninja jokes."  He shoved his hands in his pockets and scowled
> rather than risk bursting into tears.  "My life is absolutely fscking ruined."
>      Signal watches.  Shit.  He was doomed.
>
>      And thus is the *DOOM* that falls upon those who defy the will of
> the gods^H^H^H^H  the will of the Writers.

...well I certainly didn't see *that* coming.

> He has quite justifiable pride in his intellectual
> abilities, but in a number of previous stories I've also established that
> he's quite aware of his own limitations of not being able to pull of
> superhero stunts.  This, combined with his generally obsessive nature,
> meant that he performed a number of extreme actions without necessarily
> taking much in the way of physical risks, and was always covering his
> own back from the moral risks.

Interesting.  I just figured that he didn't have nearly the karmic
justification he thought he did. (Killing a baby?  Even if 87% of
future timelines have it growing into a Very Bad Person?  C'mon, man.
The right thing to do is to put it in the hands of the right person
for one of the other 13%.  Certainly, if you have something that can
predict possible futures with that degree of accuracy, you can find
them.)

>      So finally I did an end run around ARAK's actions and preparations,
> retconned in that he had overlooked something, and had Ultimate Ninja
> point it out.  Fortunately Scott Eiler had made observations in the
> comments threads about the nature of the interaction between Wendle and
> Elizabeth that I had included as a carry over from Elizabeth's previous
> appearance.

The above comments said, this is a weird and interesting way for this
to play out.  Invoking cliches to protect you only to find yourself
trapped in a web of them is the kind of karmic punishment that Kafka
would be proud of.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, disclaimer: I've never read any
Kafka.