RACCIES: Points To Be Made, Questions To Vote On!

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 18:04:21 PST 2010

On 12/20/10 12:29 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:07:41 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:
>
>> On the subject of Hall of Fame...  I've always felt ambivalent
>> towards it.  The idea is nice in theory, but I feel that it tends
>> to be a rehash of the same things each year.  I'm not sure how to
>> handle that: whether to make it once every 2, 3 or even 5 years
>> (although the latter assumes a *very* long term life span for
>> RACC - touch wood);  or limit the nominees for one year from among
>> things that *haven't* been Hall of Fame winners before, or...
>> well, I dunno.
>
> I think "once every three years" is going to be about right. (And I don't
> think assuming a long-term lifespan for RACC is especially inaccurate;
> we've kept things pretty stable so far, and it looks like we're currently
> on the upswing of the cycle.)
>
> And limiting it to things that haven't won the Hall of Fame before...
> weren't we already doing that?>.>

Yeah, at least in terms of each category.

Speaking as the person who came up with the whole RACC Hall of Fame
brain child I suppose I should say something..

I think we should wait till 2012 to do another one... if no one wants to
run it then I'd be willing to take another stab at it... and every
three years sounds right... 2012.. 2015.. 2018... and so on...

I suppose in order to get at least a minimum of nomination and voting
ballots next time we could extend the vote a few times till we got like
4 nomination ballots and five voting ballots... maybe...

The first time Saxon did it... I think there were like five voting
ballots... the first time I did it there were six... and three ballots
in the last one...

As for tying... nothing you can really do about that unless you want to
have like a second round of voting... I don't think tying is a big deal...

The reason I think the Hall of Fame is a good idea is because the RACC
archives are huge and I think its good to have sort of best of the best
list to direct to the new readers on RACC... The RACCies sort of
function like that, but there are great stories and series that never
got a RACCie... that's my thinking on that...

Here's the Hall of Fame on the LNH wiki...
http://www.lnhq.info/wiki/RACC_Hall_of_Fame

And this also has them...
http://www.eyrie.org/lnh/awards.html

Arthur "Deck the Halls" Spitzer