StarFall: Spellbinder #1: "Take This Job and Shove It"

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Mon Dec 20 10:04:07 PST 2010

In article <7b0de9e3-987c-44fb-ae6b-6d819b8505dd at w29g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
Phantasm  <phantom_belcher at yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Dec 17, 12:36 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 11:55 pm, William Strickland
>> > I'm going to need to come up with a way to relate that here, in the
>> > plain text format. I'd originally written the story in html, and the
>> > flashback segments were all in italics.
>>
>> It seemed fairly clear to me (the shift between third and first was
>> certainly helpful there).  Perhaps, as a hint, you could use different
>> scene-separation borders?
>
>A suggestion? (Which I probably should have made earlier during the
>editing process...)
>
>Use a line of ~~~~~~~~~~~~ instead of -------------- for framing
>flashbacks?  That seems to be a defacto standard for flashbacks in
>text-based entries, isn't it?

     One of the advantages of the datestamping style used in ASH is that
flashbacks are pretty clearly set up.  :)  Not to say that there aren't
disadvantages, of course, especially if you're trying to play sliding
timelines like Marvel and DC.

     Dave Van Domelen, certainly ran into problems with it in Superguy,
having to explain multi-year in-story gaps.....