META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:47:05 PDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:41:06 +0000 (UTC), Phantasm wrote:

> Worse: they kill off a character, have multiple plotlines running to
> convince everyone else - including the readers - that YES, THIS HERO/
> VILLAIN *IS* DEAD!  And then, when everyone has accepted it and
> they've had the person's protege/sidekick/partner/associate take over
> the heroic (or villainous) identity, they bring back the original!

Gah.  Yeah, any situation where you promise never to reverse something and
then shortly after do so... (Spider-Man, "magic retcon", etc.)

> It's accepted that they'll eventually bring back Jean Grey ("Don't you
> X-Men ever STAY dead?!"), but did they have to bring back Captain
> America now that Bucky's taken over the role?  (Batman doesn't count,
> as the readers know he's time-traveling,)

To be fair, I don't think *anyone* expected Steve not to come back.  And
the overall storyline of it has been handled better than most.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, quite a fan of Brubaker there.