META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 16:11:36 PDT 2010

On Apr 19, 6:54 pm, Scott Eiler <sei... at eilertech.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:30 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:13:58 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
> > > 1.  Decompressed storytelling.
>
> > I think this is an example of something that *can* be used well, but whose
> > misuse and overuse has given it a bad rap.  Giving a story a slower pace,
> > an atmosphere, a gentle slope of rising action can be quite effective.
>
> Agreed, but I suspect it's a marketing tactic whose time has gone.
> How much attention span do comic book companies think the next-
> generation reader has?

I do understand where you're coming from, Scott; that's why I'm trying
to make sure all of my (prose) installments tell one complete, full
story.

Granted, the next JOLT CITY is going to take close to 20,000 words to
tell that one complete, full story. So maybe I'm a secret (or not-so-
secret) decompressionist. :-)

==Tom