META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Phantasm phantom_belcher at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 14:41:06 PDT 2010

On Apr 19, 12:13 pm, Scott Eiler <sei... at eilertech.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:49 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What's
> > your least favorite aspect of modern comic book stories, the stuff you
> > actively try to avoid in your own work?
>
> 2.  Characters who won't stay dead.  Although I'll allow it if they're
> actually friends with Death.

Worse: they kill off a character, have multiple plotlines running to
convince everyone else - including the readers - that YES, THIS HERO/
VILLAIN *IS* DEAD!  And then, when everyone has accepted it and
they've had the person's protege/sidekick/partner/associate take over
the heroic (or villainous) identity, they bring back the original!

It's accepted that they'll eventually bring back Jean Grey ("Don't you
X-Men ever STAY dead?!"), but did they have to bring back Captain
America now that Bucky's taken over the role?  (Batman doesn't count,
as the readers know he's time-traveling,)