META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 13:13:14 PDT 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:09:41 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:

> On Apr 17, 5:59 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmmmm.  Is it just using these tropes to trick the audience ("You see, it
>> was a Superman robot the whole time!"), or is it any use of them?
>
> I think when it's just used to trick the audience, though honestly
> most stories where some kind of doppelganger frames the hero character
> for some heinous crime are pretty damn cheap.  The Superman robots are
> okay, firstly because there's no imposter-framing-him-for-X thing
> going on and secondly because they're just so awesome they get a
> pass.

True; they're used more for tricking the supporting cast and the occasional
villain.

> (I guess the Kandorian look-alikes are okay too, because of the
> pure silliness of there being Kryptonians who just happen to look like
> Perry White, etc.)

We need a Bizarro Kandor.  For one thing, it would be the size of Jupiter.

>> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, never lend an unreliable narrator
>> money.
>
> And I hate Keyser Soze-ism with more passion than one would think
> possible.

My personal least favorite brand of unreliable narrator is "The fantasy
story was all in the crazy person's head".  It shows both the writer's
cynicism and their contempt for the audience.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.