REVIEW/LNH: The Tribulations of Kid Review #2

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 16:16:52 PST 2009

Andrew Perron wrote:

> -----------<>-----------
>
> [LNH] Beige Countdown
>
> "This is the first half of the mega-event.  Since these tend to jump
> about, and since there are several holes yet to be filled in, I'm
> going to take these one at a time and give a summation at the end."
>
> "#12 (written by Arthur Spitzer): A strong start.  I love the pure
> atmosphere of the scene in 1945, and the over-the-top good cop/bad cop
> routine."
>
> "#11 (written by Arthur Spitzer): ...okay, the idea of a fictional LNH-
> equivalent *within* the Looniverse is awesome, and naturally, Arthur
> takes it completely over the top (with a fictional equivalent of
> *that*!).  Why hasn't anyone done this before, is my question.  I now
> want to write back issues of the Teenage Disco Vampire Barbershop
> Quartet Net.Force titles.

Martin and Lalo wrote part of this also...

Although I take full blame for the Teenage Disco Vampire Barbershop
Quartet Net.Force....

> "'I just thought that, you know, this might be the sort of thing we
> might discuss as a couple.' 'Isn't that what we just did?' Heh heh
> heh.  ...who is he talking to?"

Only Martin knows...

> "(Bonus 58.5 tie-in!)"
>
> "#10 (written by Rob Rogers): ...seriously.  Girlwatcher.  A character
> that's been used maybe twice in the last ten years, and Rob makes him
> a serious candidate for RACC6.  Admittedly, he got some good
> characterization back in his early appearances, but *this*... wow."
>
> "And that's just a side-note to the main action.  This is *jam-packed*
> with awesomeness.  Minority Miss trapped in the infinite depths!  The
> Bronze-age Emotional Necessitator and Decompression Implementation
> System!  The immature high-school might of the Power Kirby!"
>
> "...now we just need Rob to come out with the next part!"

Hear, hear!

> "#7 (written by Arthur Spitzer): This is the big Ripping Dancer issue,
> the climax to her setup.  It's quite good, although I'm confused -
> what was the deal with the cookies and the mind-control potion and the
> people named after LNH authors?  And I thought Revamp Lass had become
> Hell Catalyst."

Manga Man gave her the potions to brainwash Fearless Leader... she
decided to use them against his thugs instead...

As for people named after LNH Authors... pure coincidence.. :)

And Jeff McCoskey created another Revamp Lass in the last issue of LNH
Triple Play  (#10?)...

> "Also: 'Your powers won't work on me -- since I don't wear clothes!'
> Bwahahaha!"
>
> "#6 (written by Arthur Spitzer and Martin Phipps): ...yes, okay, I get
> it, Irony Man is conflicted and Hex is manipulating his fears in order
> to increase his own power.  It's possibly a more glaringly obvious
> piece of social commentary than Civil War was. (Note: This is
> impossible.) And, yes, Irony Man is being an overbearing jerk to
> Fearless Leader to justify himself.  It's just completely lacking in
> subtlety."

I won't argue with this... I suppose I felt I needed to constantly show
Irony Man as being conflicted... and couldn't find a fresh and
interesting way to do it...

> "*That* said, those scenes are followed up with much more subtle and
> layered stuff, so much so that I'm wondering if I should be
> complaining about the previous scenes at all... but considering how
> many times these notes have been hit in previous issues, I'll leave it
> in."
>
> "Also, the Ironic Woman is hilarious."
>
> "#5 (written by Arthur Spitzer): Just one great psychological moment
> between Bicycle Repair Lad and Hex Luthor.  Perfect."
>
> "#1 (written by Arthur Spitzer): Ultimate Ninja in For The Man Who Has
> Everything!  But that makes it sound like a lame ripoff, so instead,
> I'll say this is Arthur's delve into the depths of the Ninja's mind.
> It's quite good, although there are a few moments that don't ring
> quite true.  Still, I enjoyed it."
>
> "Obligatory Hilarious Line: 'Wow, so that's the end of Beige Midnight.
> That was so totally worth the hype!' Sarcastic Lad said. 'What should
> I wear to the Pulitzers?'"
>
> "...Second Even-More-Hilarious Line: A bouquet of flowers flew through
> the air, right into WikiBoy's hands. WikiBoy looked at the flowers and
> then looked at Master Blaster with a horrified expression. 'No!
> Please! Don't make me marry a badger again!'"
>
> "#0 (written by Arthur Spitzer with one sentence by Dave Van Domelen):
> Ooooooooh.  Man, all these bits of Looniverse history and old-new
> characters... goodness slathered all over. Plus, an entertaining
> interlude with two Goons!  And hey, the secret origin of Pulls-Paper-
> Out-of-Hats Lad!  Oh, man, and the NTB!  So awesome!  Continuity Porn
> Star!  Wooooo!"
>
> "Yes, I'm exactly the kind of continuity-lover who loves these sort of
> things. (Hey, I got into comics in 1993.  If I didn't love webs of
> dense, unexplained references, I wouldn't be here.)"
>
> "(Oh, and on a continuity level: According to old rosters, Romantic
> Innuendo was originally a guy.  ...I know!  Someone needs to write the
> Romantic Innuendo Transgender Tragic Love Story.)"

I do have a scene in Beige Midnight #3, which is a dream sequence where
the male and female Romantic Innuendo are having a chat...

I suppose I just considered the female version a legacy character...

> "Overall thoughts (totally by me): You know, when I finished Infinite
> Leadership Crisis, the way the whole Bart and the Bryttle Brothers
> thing was introduced was kind of dismaying; it clashed with the rest
> of the event.  But the way Beige Countdown was done was far beyond my
> expectation; no matter how it started, t'was a worthy series.  Sure,
> sometimes the phrasing was awkward or something was pushed too hard,
> but you can really feel the *effort*, the *love* oozing out of every
> syllable.  Awesome."

Thanks for the review... glad you like most of it...

> -----------<>-----------
>
> Lady Review uppercutted the Apathy Beast into the portable wormhole
> generator set to "random" and dusted her hands off. "Hope that does
> it."
>
> Kid Review stood and stretched. "I think so.  Also, paczki sound
> delicious.  Could you bake some?"
>
> "Only if you make some pizza with chickpeas, nutritional yeast and
> sesame oil!"
>
> "Good deal, good deal."

> Author's Note: Say, Arthur, if you're still looking for someone to
> write Beige Midnight 4, 3, and 2...

I assume you're talking about Beige Countdown 4, 3, and 2 since BM #2-4
have already been written...

And if you want to write them... be my guest... I have no plans to write
them... and I don't think anyone else does either...

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, just sayin'.

Arthur "Death to Beige Countdown..." Spitzer