RACCies: 2008 Official RACCies ballot [seconde posting]

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:14:06 PDT 2009

On Mar 8, 1:06 pm, Lalo Martins <lalo.mart... at gmail.com> wrote:
> The truth is, I tried to care about them, and failed.  With the number of
> people we have active around here, and especially with the number of
> people voting on this thing, it's hard to ... hmm... I was going to say
> "take it seriously", but it's not supposed to be taken seriously anyway,
> so, I guess "take it kinda-seriously-to-some-extent"?  Or something.

The RACCies are part of what makes this newsgroup something like a
(dysfunctional) family... or perhaps a group therapy session... as
opposed to being a bulletin board where people post stories.  It's
nice that we all get together once a year to congratulate each other,
recognize the best of our work (particularly important for those of
us who rarely write reviews) and make Mr. Paprika jokes.

It's also a handy reality check.  I'm always surprised when stories
I consider to be far from my best work get awards, while ones I
really like aren't nominated; it helps me to have a better
understanding of my audience and my work.  And the ballot functions
as a checklist to read up on really great stories I might have
missed in the last year.

Of course, what I really love is the after-party at the RACCafe.
On more than one occasion, I've woken up on the morning after the
awards ceremony and said "Thank God all of that happened outside
of continuity..."

--Easily-Discovered Man Lite
--Can always use a reality check
--Or a stimulus check