CONTEST: High Concept # 2

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 20 05:37:21 PDT 2009

On Sunday 19th July 2009 Tom Russell wrote:
> Oh, pardon me: the winners, plural, by popular vote, are...
>
> ANDREW BURTON and SAXON BRENTON.
>
> Our first-ever High Concept contest has ended in a first-ever tie.
> The winner of the contest, of course, is supposed to provide the
> character concept for the next contest, but since we have two winners,
> it looks like we're going to have two concepts.  And, to make it
> interesting, let's use BOTH of those concepts in the same story.
> Rivals, partners, enemies, lovers-- I guess that much is up to the
> participants.
>
> So, Andrew, Saxon-- give us a character idea and put it in this
> space.  The contest will end, oh, three weeks after we get the second
> character concept.

Oh wow.  My demeneted ramblings - mused upon for several weeks and
then hastily typed out over a three hour stretch for a posting at the
last possible moment - have found favour.  Coolness.

Uhm.  Okay.  To make this slightly easier I'll deliberately avoid
proposing any concept that is likely to be *automatically* mutually
exclusive with a large number of other possible concepts.  So:

High concept:  A superhuman who's concerned about his superhuman kid(s).

'Superhuman' in this case being interpretted in it's broadest possible
sense of 'someone who has greater than normal abilities for the population
that he/she/it protects/is persecuted by/is associated with' - just to
give the option of working outside of RACC's predilictions for
four-colour superhero stories.

-----
Saxon Brenton   University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex
world of jet-powered apes and time-travel." - Superman, JLA Classified #