SW09: December 2009 #2: The Book of Ends

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Dec 26 14:28:05 PST 2009

Thanks for the comments, Andrew.

On Dec 26, 3:52 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 02:36:52 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
> Hmmmmm.  You know, I think that, even in this summarized format, you need
> more detail; as it stands, even as an IC report with he proper context,
> this would be a bit confusing.

I'll work on the detail.  Meanwhile, I've gotten the hyperlinks in to
the web page.

> >     * They've started training their colonists to interact with
> > Earthlings. Their instructional video uses the robots to show all the
> > ways people can die here. They called it "The Book of Ends". Someone
> > got that video and put it on YouTube. It's a hit. (18 Dec)
>
> Like, why is it a hit?  At first, I thought it was because everyone was
> looking at it because they were worried about the Trillions analyzing how
> to kill humans, but when I reread, it mentioned at the top that it was
> funny.

It's so funny, people think it's a parody.

> >     * For the moment, the Earth is closer to the Sun than usual.
> > Everyone's celebrating Summer in December right now. Next year, we'll
> > see what happens when June and December are both out near the orbit of
> > Mars. We might need an old-Earth 365-day calendar alongside a new-
> > Earth 520-day one. Mayas did that, so there's precedent. I sense a
> > really big holiday coming along in 520 days... that is to say, June of
> > old year 2011, New Year's Day of new year 2.
>
> So its orbit is still changing, or...?

The orbit is still changed, but predictable.  However, it'll be good
to see the predictions actually come true the first time.

> > The rogue
> > nation of Tuvalu also loaned their superhumans (mostly pirate
> > vampires) to the world survival effort.
>
> Wait what.  More about pirate vampires, please. o.o

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/journal.htm#leo has much more.
Arrrr.

> >     * Adolf Hitler, having time-travelled himself the hard way, is now
> > a city councilman in south Nashville, Tennessee. Reportedly he fits in
> > nicely with the constituency there.
>
> How'd a German war criminal become a small-time American politician? @-@

He came from a reality where he married a nice Jewish girl, grew a
full mustache and beard, and overthrew Stalin.  People don't recognize
him here.

... Welcome to my 2009.  I considered tracking some of the plot
threads from previous years, but there's quite enough going on in the
story as is.