REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #71 - November 2009 [spoilers]

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Dec 11 15:25:39 PST 2009

On Dec 11, 2:27 pm, dvan... at eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
> In article <2f0fb7c9-fcff-4a71-b557-0373d7186... at s20g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Andrew Perron  <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Oh yes.  I love, love, *love* shared universes.  I honestly don't know
> >why they seem to be limited to comic books and licensed properties.

Cinema cartoons are mostly shared universes too.  Bugs Bunny / Road
Runner, Mickey Mouse / Donald Duck, and Hanna Barbera Laff-A-Lympics
come to mind.

Lots of science fiction series are "licensed properties", just because
that's the main contractual way for a group of writers to share a
universe.

>      Additionally, every so often two shows that aren't directly based on one
> another will have a crossover, like when Martial Law and Early Edition had a
> two-part story that started in one show and ended in the other.

That, not a spinoff, is what I call a shared universe.