META: Inspiration

Mitchell Crouch mitchell_crouch at caladrius.com.au
Tue Dec 1 14:58:52 PST 2009

On Dec 2, 5:03 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> From whom do you draw the most inspiration for your works?

Adam Roberts has to top my list, for both the silliness of his
parodies that I attempt to emulate in my LNH works and the complexity
of the ideas he brings to his serious pieces. He is, I believe, easily
one of the best writers of our time.

Chris Hastings, Ryan North, Brian Clevinger, Rich Burlew, Tim Buckley,
Stephen Pastis and Randall Monroe (among others) write my favourite
webcomics that I check on daily, so it would be lying something fierce
if I didn't say that they each brought their own strains of whackiness
to the table. A lot of the stuff -- most of the stuff, in fact -- they
do is also quite clever.

Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons for 'Watchmen', of course.

Victor Hugo, Bram Stoker, and Alexandre Dumas, among other classic
writers, for the beauty and the passion they instilled in their works.
Jane Austen too, for that, I suppose.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for being freakin' sweet.

Lastly, I suppose, are the playwrights. I love Shakespeare and
Marlowe, and my relatively recent introduction to Bertolt Brecht has
had an impact on my writing, too. The puns, the wordplay, the ability
to be so damn cheeky in the middle of what's essentially a very
serious piece grabs me like a gorilla in mating season, and refuses to
let go.

I... I like it.