REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #52 - April 2008 [spoilers]

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 16:41:00 PDT 2008

Lalo Martins wrote:
> Also spracht Saxon Brenton (Wed, 07 May 2008 05:15:48 +0000):
>> Nevertheless, I'm
>> sitting here worrying that the combination of an ensemble cast, plus the
>> late appearance of the Net.Trenchcoat Brigade, may make this look like
>> the equivalent of an Event comic from one of the mainstream publishers.

Part of the problem is that while writing this... I think to myself,
"Wouldn't it be fun if such and such a character appeared," of course
once I put them in I'm not quite sure of what to do with them...

That being said the NTB will play a role in Beige Midnight...

> My understanding is that one (minor) goal Arthur and I have been shooting
> for is to poke fun at mainstream Event comics.  (Arthur with BC and BM,
> me with 58.5 and my suggestions and contributions to BC/BM.)  And one of
> the reasons I enjoyed BC#0 is that it was the apex of this minor goal; it
> was IMO so well done that now we don't need to do it so much anymore, I
> feel that "the fun has been poked" :-P  And yet, it has done that without
> losing its effectiveness as part of the story.

Glad you liked it...

> Maybe some people aren't that much into satire.  Well; in a month that
> has seen the abyssal badness of Death of New Gods (or "DONG" as I like to
> call it) and the "end" of Countdown, plus the gratuitous trailer string
> of DCU0, I feel I have to somehow express my anguish as a comic fan.  Two
> ways I can do that are: point out the ridicule in it, and write better
> stuff.  It's a hard choice, so I pick both.  I may fail at the "better
> stuff" part, but... hmm, wait a minute, better than DONG and Countdown?
> No, I don't think I can possibly fail at that.
>
> Jim-Starlin-is-a-Skrull-ly-yours,
>                                                Lalo Martins

I don't read too many event things... but I did pick up that DCU #0..
and yeah it was pretty awful... probably the worst thing I've ever read
by Grant Morrison...

I'll probably check out Final Crisis... but mostly because I usually
checkout anything written by Morrison.. hopefully it's a lot better than
DCU #0...

Arthur "Hoping Beige Midnight blows them all away.." Spitzer