REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #52 - April 2008 [spoilers]

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 03:34:25 PDT 2008

On May 8, 5:14 pm, Tarq <mitchell_cro... at caladrius.com.au> wrote:
> On May 8, 10:42 am, EDMLite <robroger... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sensing a lot of love for Big Event stories
> > lately.
>
> > And I'm wondering why that is.  Is it because of
> > the overwhelming number of them spilling out of the
> > Big Two recently?  Is it because of the nature of the
> > Big Event story itself (some major change has to
> > happen for it to mean anything, but comic book
> > universes and big, irreversible changes mix about
> > as well as water and potassium)?
>
> That may have something to do with it. The days of walking into your
> local comic book store, picking up a book that looks interesting, and
> reading an interesting story from start to finish seem to be
> completely gone. Nowadays you have to follow a series for months to
> get that same fulfillment; I personally suspect that this has more to
> do with money-grabbing by the Big Two than any true attempt to write
> 'better' stories, or (in my opinion) stories would alternate more
> between one-shots and proper arcs. But then your favourite series is
> suddenly jacked into something like Marvel's 'Civil War'.

I wonder what would happen if a comic book company were able to amass
enough money to start making its own movies.  What if these movies
started making money.  Lots of money.  Would we start to see movies
that were not only sequels but crossovers with other movies?

Well, it's happening.  Not only does Marvel hope to do an Iron Man 2
(for 2010) but also a Thor (for 2010) and a Captain America movie (for
2011), followed shortly by an Avengers movie (also in 2011).  They're
probably also going to do a Rampaging Hulk and an Ant Man movie in the
meantime.  How many movies will a non-comics fan have to watch to
understand the Avengers when it comes out?

Martin