META: The Problem of Subjectivity

Andrew Burton tuglyraisin at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 18:34:16 PDT 2008

Martin Phipps wrote:
> As you calling me "deluded" is a subjective statement and the argument
> is that nobody should be offended by subjective statements I should
> just let that go.

My plan proceeds apace.  Bwahaha!

> You should go back and reread what I've written up to now.  Statements
> like "This is good" and "This is bad" are subjective, I agree.  They
> are also completely useless in and of themselves.

You've said two things in various posts that directly contradict each
other.  First you said, "Somebody says they don't like my story.  So?
They go on and on about not liking it.  Okay.  Does the person have
anything constructive to say?  Apparently not."  And now you just said,
"Statements like 'This is good' and 'This is bad' are subjective, I
agree.  They are also completely useless in and of themselves."

So if I make a long post to explain why I dislike something, it's not
constructive.  If I make a quick statement about whether or not I liked
something, it's useless.  So how do you feel about long posts that
describe how they enjoyed your work?  Are those equally as useless?

--
Andrew Burton
tuglyraisin at aol.com
http://utilitarian.us - A Guide to Esoteric Technology in Paragon City