META: The Problem of Subjectivity

Andrew Burton tuglyraisin at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 06:46:31 PDT 2008

Martin Phipps wrote:
> I concede that the usual definition of criticism involves "passing
> judgment" but "analyzing content" is also criticism.  You can analyze
> the works of Shakespeare without dismissing any of them as "clunkers".

I can.  "Romeo and Juliet" is boring and, per a discussion with a
co-worker/friend of mine, I find his understanding of teenagers woefully
lacking.

[snip]

> Pointing out errors _alone_ is not the same as making a value
> judgement.  I can like a story and still find fault with it.

That said, making a value judgement is not the same as pointing out
errors.  I can hate a story even when its logic is sound.  I'm typically
more inclined to like stories that maintain an internal logic, but it's
not a 100% sure bet.

Getting back to what I assume is your thesis statement: objective
criticism is the best form of criticism; and by rebuttal: ain't no such
thing... In all those definitions of "criticism" I fail to see the word
"objective" used a single time, and I think that's because there ain't
no such thing.

--
Andrew Burton
tuglyraisin at aol.com