META: The Problem of Subjectivity

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 20:59:47 PDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2:50 pm, Andrew Burton <tuglyrai... at aol.com> wrote:

> No criticism is objective; even the criticism of spelling errors is
> subjective, given that some people criticize them and others do not.
> That said, I think the better question is, "What does it take for
> something to be considered objective criticism?"  And my answer to that,
> "A complete disconnect from reality."

I agree 100%.

A review, a criticism, a dissection, or a discussion is not just about
the work being discussed, but also about the person doing the
discussion; any piece of critical writing worth its ink is an opinion
piece and thus highly personal and subjective.

I don't even try to be anything except subjective in my own reviews,
nor have I ever claimed to do otherwise.

==Tom