REVIEW: Russell's Reviews Volume One # 9

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 18:24:03 PST 2008

On Mar 2, 8:21 am, Saxon Brenton <saxon.bren... at uts.edu.au> wrote:

> There are further constraints.  ARAK is a member of a
> minority religion, so there's no way that he'd be a
> member of the evangelical wing of the Republicans

No, but he'd make a perfectly good Libertarian.

>From http://www.lp.org/article_85.shtml

"What is a Libertarian?

"Let's start with Webster's definition:

"Libertarian: A person who upholds the principles of individual
liberty especially of thought and action.  Capitalized: a member of a
political party advocating libertarian principles.

"Libertarians believe in, and pursue, personal freedom while
maintaining personal responsibility.  The Libertarian Party itself
serves a much larger pro-liberty community with the specific mission
of electing Libertarians to public office.

"Libertarians strongly oppose any government interfering in their
personal, family and business decisions.   Essentially, we believe all
Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their
interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.

"In a nutshell, we are advocates for a smaller government, lower taxes
and more freedom.

"Are Libertarians liberal or conservative?

"Libertarians are neither. Unlike liberals or conservatives,
Libertarians advocate a high degree of both personal and economic
liberty. For example, Libertarians advocate freedom in economic
matters, so we're in favor of lowering taxes, slashing bureaucratic
regulation of business, and charitable -- rather than government --
welfare. But Libertarians are also socially tolerant.  We won't demand
laws or restrictions on other people who we may not agree because of
personal actions or lifestyles.

"Think of us as a group of people with a "live and let live" mentality
and a balanced checkbook.

"In a sense, Libertarians "borrow" from both sides to come up with a
logical and consistent whole -- but without the exceptions and broken
promises of Republican and Democratic politicians. That's why we call
ourselves the Party of Principle."

That sounds like what you are looking for.

I'm not endorsing the Libertarian Party, by the way.  My own political
views are more along the lines of Bill Maher's who describes his own
tacit support for the Libertarian Party as "not an easy fit".

Better yet, you could try modeling ARAK on Larry Elder who calls
himself a "Republitarian".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Elder

Martin