Superfreaks: Extreme #2

George Chen georgechen2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 20:27:24 PDT 2008

I'm impressed with the way these first two issues have brought in
elements of pop culture (documentaries, science fiction, reality TV,
crime dramas, superheroes) and put them together in a way such that
they don't clash but form a cohesive whole.  It seems as though the
series isn't so much about Extreme but the world in which he lives.
It's a world where people have become jaded to the idea of mutants,
aliens and superheroes to the point where they're as mundane as ipods
and cellphones.  Which makes sense.  People adapt.  We get used to
everything.  Eventually everything becomes mundane.  Matter of fact.
I liked the way Extreme and Wendy argued about whether or not people
know he has superhearing or not.  "They know I can hear them.  That's
why they cry out 'Extreme!  Help me!' whenever they're in danger."
"Exactly.  They shout.  They don't know how good your hearing is."
Very funny.