REVIEW: Russell's Reviews Volume One # 1

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 17:04:30 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2:35 am, Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 8:41 pm, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I've
> > thought about doing a story with a serial killer like they've done a
> > couple of times on CSI but there's the danger of making the detectives
> > look incompetant if they can't figure out who did it right away.  And
> > as you said it's unsatisfying if they can't find the killer by the end
> > of the issue.
>
> But you could follow the legal proceedings that arise after the killer
> has been captured, ending with their sentencing towards the end of a
> season.  I'm not saying every little part has to be captured in minute
> detail, just those details that are salient to your plot,
> characterization, or theme.  You could have one case being sentenced
> as another begins, one perp being captured as another is freed, et
> cetera.  And I'm not saying it has to be done this way or it should be
> done this way-- it is your series-- I'm just saying it's another way
> to do it that might make better use of a "multiple case" format.

Even if all cases were to go trial (and I can imagine situations where
a suspect would simply plead guilty and be sentenced) not all trials
need be shown.  And when I do show trials I never have the trials take
place in the same story in which they are arrested because I want to
show the passage of time.  Sometimes an entire episode is devoted to a
trial but, more often, yes, the police are investigating other crimes
while the trial takes place.

Martin